Lancaster Lebanon Habitat works in partnership with local families in need of a decent, affordable place to call home.
Important Note about Homeownership Applications: Currently we are not accepting new applications. Please check back periodically if you are intersted in homeownership opportunities in Lancaster and Lebanon.
Our homebuyers contribute hundreds of hours of sweat equity towards the construction or renovation of their home, which includes working on the build site and taking classes that will strengthen self-sufficiency. The home is then sold to the family with affordable monthly mortgage payments.
Applicants for homeownership must fall within our income guidelines (see chart here). In addition, applicants must have reasonable credit histories, a manageable level of debt and be willing and able to perform up to 400 hours of “sweat equity” to build their own homes
Homeownership through Habitat may be right for you if you are prepared to:
Ability to pay:
- Must have sustainable income. This income may include earned income, public assistance, disability, SSI, SSDI, worker’s compensation, child support, alimony, retirement, pension, etc. Food stamps are not counted as income.
- Debt must not be excessive in proportion to monthly income.
- No liens or judgments.
- No back Child Support payments.
- Considered a first-time home buyer OR has not owned a home (single, duplex, mobile, etc.) in the last three years, unless through divorce or separation applicant is taken off of the original mortgage and note.
- Consistent payment history with rent.
- Ability to make 1 percent down payment and applicable closing costs.
- 3 years since Bankruptcies/Foreclosures.
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
- Must live or work in Lancaster or Lebanon County.
Need for Housing criteria:
- Overcrowded living conditions.
- Substandard living conditions. Poor physical condition of home.
- Paying more than 30% of monthly gross income for housing expenses.
- Denied a traditional mortgage.
- Unsafe community within 3 blocks.
- Have a need for handicapped accessibility.
- Currently living in public housing, or Sec 8.
Willingness to partner criteria:
- Returns application complete and on time.
- Returns phone calls promptly and has consistent communication with the Habitat office.
- Agrees to complete the required hours of sweat equity.
- Agrees to save toward 1% down payment.
- Agrees to attend homeowner workshops.
- Creates safe environment for neighbors.
- Applicant is not found as a listed sex or violent offender.
Fill out our homeownership inquiry form. (Si necesita una forma en español, por favor, manda un correo a AllysonW@llhfh.org o llama a la oficina a 717.392.8836.) In conducting a credit analysis, there will be a $20 fee to reimburse Habitat for pulling a credit report. If you do not receive a response from our family services manager within one week of submitting, please call our office at 717.392.8836.