Lancaster Lebanon Habitat works in partnership with local families in need of a decent, affordable place to call home.
Habitat’s homeownership program offers a path to owning an affordable, decent home for first-time homebuyers in Lancaster and Lebanon Counties. Future homebuyers and their families build strength, stability and self-sufficiency as they work through the program, prior to purchasing their Habitat home with a zero-percent interest mortgage tailored to fit their budget.
Applicants for homeownership must fall within our income guidelines (see chart below). Additionally, they must meet the qualifications that are also included further down on this page. For a complete list of required documents that will be needed at time of application, please click here.
Homeownership through Habitat may be right for you if you are prepared to:
Ability to pay:
- Must have sustainable income. This income may include earned income, public assistance, disability, SSI, SSDI, worker’s compensation, child support, alimony, retirement, pension, etc. Food stamps are not counted as income.
- Debt must not be excessive in proportion to monthly income.
- No liens or judgments.
- No back Child Support payments.
- Considered a first-time home buyer OR has not owned a home (single, duplex, mobile, etc.) in the last three years, unless through divorce or separation applicant is taken off of the original mortgage and note.
- Consistent payment history with rent.
- Ability to make 1 percent down payment and applicable closing costs.
- 3 years since Bankruptcies/Foreclosures.
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
- Must live or work in Lancaster or Lebanon County.
Need for Housing criteria:
- Overcrowded living conditions.
- Substandard living conditions. Poor physical condition of home.
- Paying more than 30% of monthly gross income for housing expenses.
- Denied a traditional mortgage.
- Unsafe community within 3 blocks.
- Have a need for handicapped accessibility.
- Currently living in public housing, or Sec 8.
Willingness to partner criteria:
- Returns application complete and on time.
- Returns phone calls promptly and has consistent communication with the Habitat office.
- Agrees to complete the required hours of sweat equity.
- Agrees to save toward 1% down payment.
- Agrees to attend homeowner workshops.
- Creates safe environment for neighbors.
- Applicant is not found as a listed sex or violent offender.